Thursday, January 04, 2007

My Mom's House

I have a limited budget as I am a student with a small family. As Christmas and the end of last semester drew near my budget for going out to restaurants was low. I also found myself quite busy making preparations for the holidays and wrapping up my school responsibilities which resulted in little time at the computer for blogging.

I did have an amazing Christmas dinner at my mother’s house. I know that her house is not a restaurant but I thought I would write a bit about her to give her a little fame.

Unfortunately very few of the readers of this blog will have the opportunity to partake in my mothers delicious cooking. She loves to cook and is quite skilled. My parent’s house was designed to entertain, with a massive kitchen including two ovens, a six foot restaurant style stainless steel dual sink with high faucets, and so much cupboard and counter space that it would be impossible to fill. The entertaining area consists of a large dining room, with a long banquet table large enough to comfortably and properly seat thirty people, a music room and a large room for relaxing and conversing. This area was designed to be sort of separate from the rest of the house so that the entertaining would not interfere with daily living. It was especially important when I was a child and would have homework to do or friends over while my parents had dinner guests. The three entertaining rooms are connected to each other by three large door/walking ways that encourage movement throughout the spaces. Each room is connected to the other two with one entrance to the kitchen off the dining room (the kitchen also has an entrance to the rest of the house and breakfast area.) My mother’s dinner as always was fantastic; we had a number of dishes including such items as turkey (of course), sweat potatoes, potatoes, ham, fresh rolls, numerous salads, pies, cakes, jelabi, home made chocolates and more. I love holidays at my mother’s house, it is a huge change from the student lifestyle I normally live.

1 comment:

Robert Runté said...

Oh man, can I relate. I was a student for a LONG time, so visits to Moms for supper were a very long tradition....

I also married a fabulous cook...but what drives me crazy is that to my kids, their mom's cooking is just routine, because it is always been there. they don't realize how good they have it. I can't wait until they go to college and after a year of cafeteria food, come home for Christmas dinner.