Friday, October 06, 2006

Yo-Yo's


By the way, the food is not like this!

Ok I know it isn't in the same category as the last restaurant, but it is still a restaurant. Today my wife and I were going to a movie and wanted to get some food before the show. We didn’t have time for a nice sit down restaurant, but were also not in the mood for speedy greasers (fast food). I then remembered seeing the Yo-Yo’s across from the mall and thought crepes would be good. Breakfast for dinner is always fun. So we walked in and I was immediately a little disappointed. The little business feels much like being in a pita shack, but i don't know what I was expecting.

The girls who were working there even reminded me of the pita shacks which is fine. The employees were high school girls wearing uniforms that don’t look like they have been washed in weeks (this was not fine). The restaraunt was also quite messy and the girls did not seem happy to be working there. I was tempted to leave but I thought if I was going to make a judgment, I better at least try their food.

The crepes are very large which was nice, (they also have a huge sandwich but I didn’t try it tonight) and they have a large selection of fillings. You can choose to put anything from fruit and whip cream to chicken or egg in your crepe. They fold the crepe in the triangular style instead of rolling it. I was then surprised when they threw it in a brown paper bag and handed it to me. I was a little confused because i have never had crepes like this. I looked around for a fork and there wasn’t any. So I sat on a stool and proceeded to try and figure out how I was going to eat this thing out of the bag.

I peeled the bag back and tried to take a bite. A problem with eating a crepe out of a bag is that it is very floppy. It doesn’t hold together well either. It was a mess. Perhaps there is a trick to it. I got better at it closer to the end but it is still not my thing. They would probably be easier to eat out of the bag if they were the rolled style, but I still would think it is weird. I think that crepes should come on a plate with a fork. Maybe other people are more comfortable with this.

2 comments:

Kim Siever said...

I've had only their wraps. They were good. Oh, and there's no apostrophe-s in their name; just Yo-Yo.

jefferson said...

I will have to go again and try the wraps. I actually want to try one of those huge sandwiches that they have in the deli case under the cash register. I know my response was rather negative but it doesn't mean that I will never try them again. Perhaps next time will be better since I now know better of what the restaurant is. Thank for the grammatical correction in the name of the establishment, and for the response.